A look on Gays and Lesbians

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dont ask, Dont tell Policy

The Dont ask, Dont tell Policy is very intersting in my opinion. I think that when Bill Clinton thought of this idea, he was trying to help out homosexuals on being in the army but overall, I dont think that this was a good plan. What the Dont ask, dont tell policy forbids homosexuals in the military from revealing their sexual orientation and others from asking about it. Although it established the right of gays and lesbians to serve in the military, it went away from their who they really were and had to hid something that shouldnt be needed to be hidden. Also the new policy forbade them to participate in overtly homosexual activities, to proselytize for the gay lifestyle, or to acknowledge their own sexual preference. This is not fair to gays,lesbians, and homosexuals because by not letting homosexuals into the army, the government and the people are discriminating against sexuality which is incorrect. This Dont ask, Dont tell Policy was thought of in 1993 so at least their is some progression in the United States with this idea. Its good that Bill Clinton thinks its okay for Homosexuals to be part of the army and military but he only thinks its okay if Homosexuals dont define who they really are which is a lack of idenity. This bothers me beacuse if I wanted to be a teacher and the government wouldnt allow me to be a teacher based on me being a women, I would think that, that was very unfair and i would protest agaisnt that. "don't ask, don't tell policy." American History. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 31 Jan. 2010. .

2 comments:

  1. I agree that this policy is unfair because it does not allow people to express who they are. Although I think that it is a good thing that it discourages people to be concerned with others sexuality. But it only is able to do this because it is not allowing people to talk, which is restricting their freedom of speech. I don’t think that one’s sexuality should be stressed, but they should be able to talk about it freely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a very important part of your topic. Because it is so controversial even today, I feel like you should go back to this post and add some more information because it is a very important part of the Gay-Lesbian topic. Overall I thought that it had good analysis to the information, but it would be better if you added some more information.

    ReplyDelete